Monday, March 22, 2010

Bitter-Very Sweetness






As you all know the Team Captain of our family has to also be the Team leader of a High School boys soccer team... Every year we start the season out the week after Thanksgiving and practice and games carry through spring break. I absolutely love being married to a coach. Ask my cousin Kimmie I told her I always wanted to marry a coach... There is nothing that melts my heart more besides seeing my husband with my kids than seeing my husband coaching kids on the sideline. I am very invested in every soccer season, sometimes to a fault but the past two years I have not been able to be as vested due to having our own kids. Waylon attended his first soccer game when he was 4 days old and Prairie attended her first game when she was 6 days old. Soccer season here in south Texas is a little chilly so we do sit in the car with these babies and cheer dad on. Waylon loves when we score because he gets to honk the horn.... We made most all of the games this year and although it was hard to mange two kids in the car it was worth it. Last year when Waylon was a tiny baby attending the games and my Mom said next year we will be chasing Waylon all over the field,,, little did we all know we would have another tiny one to have to keep up with as well. So this year my Mom said.. next year you are going to have two to chase all over the field... And I did vow to Nathan that I would do everything in my power to not have a child during soccer season again.... I was teasing my mom about how I used to see parents that had those backpack leashes for their kids and now I am trying to find if they make them with the split leash so that I can keep up with two... Ha! Just kidding, I really would never use that but it sure sounds like a great idea at times...
This year the soccer team did great. They placed 3rd in district and made the playoffs. We did lose the playoff game on Friday night but it was a great success to get there... I am so very proud of Nathan and what he does with these kids. He has to find ways to motivate, encourage and strengthen kids who really don't have it in themselves to do it alone. He takes kids that do not play year round elite soccer and helps them get to the playoffs. He takes kids that have never been part of a team and makes them feel like they are a huge asset to his program. He takes kids that would have been failing academically in school to making good grades so that they can still be a part of his program. He takes kids that do not have good role models in their life and sets an example of what a great man, leader, and father looks like. He has no idea what he is doing in the lives of these boys he is teaching and coaching every day. He looks at it as a really fun job. In everything that he has had to do with his team and his students he has had to do twice as much at home for us. The past two years durning soccer season we have had a baby. He has relied on little sleep, a lot of stress and an emotional wife... He has never complained about the lack of sleep, the amount of honey doo's I have for him, or the work load that he has on his shoulders.. He still comes home everyday in a great mood, willing to help out with whatever we need and still has the energy to play the rest of the night with Waylon....He is such and amazing person and we are so lucky to get to have him... I am so thankful to God every day for giving me this amazing man, giving my children this amazing father, and giving high school kids an amazing coach, teacher and role model....
So yes, it is bitter-VERY sweetness that soccer season is over.. it means that Dad now gets to be home at 4 and we get to play outside the rest of the day....

No comments: